Growing interest amongst institutional investors in favor of cryptos has led to some of
the biggest known public companies having huge Bitcoin portfolios. According to
reports, as of June 2021, almost 34 public companies held 213,000 Bitcoins together.
This represents almost 1.14% of the world’s total Bitcoin supply and is equivalent to
about $7.4 billion.
Top 10 companies holding the most Bitcoins in the world today:
- MicroStrategy: Led by Michael Saylor, this IT services group sold a part of its
company to purchase 5050 Bitcoins to build a total stash of $5.1 billion worth
of BTC. Last year, MicroStrategy’s revenues of half-a-billion were
overshadowed by its asset growth of $2 billion worth of Bitcoins.
- Tesla: This electric car maker company had begun investing in Bitcoin in early
- The endorsement of this crypto by none other than Elon Musk had sent
the market into a tizzy with Bitcoin prices skyrocketing and touching an all-
time record high.
- Galaxy Digital Holdings: This is probably the biggest institutional holder of the
Bitcoin that is directly connected to the crypto industry. Galaxy Digital
Holdings has 16,400BTC worth more than $522 million. Created in 2018 by
Novogratz, this has partnered with BlockFi and Block. one. He saw that
financial stimulus measures to alleviate the effects of the pandemic were
slowly driving up the interest in favor of cryptos.
- Voyager Digital (VYGVF): This crypto brokerage firm holds almost 12,260 BTC,
according to reports by bitcointreasuries.org. This company is like a one-stop
shop for digital asset trading and found the exponential adoption of cryptos as
an investable asset class.
- Square (SQ): Founder/CEO of Square, Jack Dorsey, has been always a Bitcoin
bull, and earlier this year; his company published a whitepaper justifying why
the Bitcoin is needed for a future in clean energy. The firm owns 8027 Bitcoins
valued at approximately $386 million and has announced its intention to keep
adding Bitcoins to its portfolio.
- Marathon Digital Holdings: This US-based Bitcoin mining firm has upped its
Bitcoin holdings to almost 5784 Bitcoins worth $184 million according to current
prices. This company seeks to build the biggest North American Bitcoin mining
operation at low energy costs. It aims to own more than 103,000 Bitcoin miners
that will generate about 50-60 Bitcoins every day.
- Coinbase Global, Inc.: This is one of the best-known cryptoexchanges and went
public in April 2021. This has been seen as a landmark development for the
crypto world. Before its listing in February of this year, the company declared
that it has $230 million Bitcoins.
- Bitcoin Group SE: This is a Germany-based capital company that holds 3947
Bitcoins worth almost $126 million. Amongst others, its investments include the
Futurum Bank and the Bitcoin.de crypto exchange. The German Parliament has
also passed bills allowing their banks to hold and sell cryptos.
- Hut 8 Mining Corp: This Canada-based crypto mining company owns 3522 BTC
worth almost $112 million. This company got listed on the NASDAQ in June of
this year. It seeks to increase its shareholder value by increasing its Bitcoin
- Riot Blockchain, Inc.: This is US-based blockchain firm with holdings of 2243
BTC that is worth $71 million. With its values growing from below $200 million
in 2020 to $6 million and more this year, it looks like it is purchasing BTC